Whipped feta & persimmons on toast
Total time: 15 minutes
OK, this is one of those rich and tempting breakfast toasts you whip up for breakfast for a special person. It features your favourite sourdough (we know you have one), salty feta creamed to a dream, a subtly sweet, juicy persimmon, and a good glug of Honest Toil. You’d want to get your blender out for this one to get the feta going, but other than that, keep it to a minimum with the prep.
4 tablespoons Honest Toil extra virgin olive oil
1 block (100g) feta cheese
2 slices of Your Favourite Sourdough (we prefer wholewheat)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 ripe persimmons
- Add the feta and 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a food processor or small blender container.
- Blend until you reach a creamy consistency.
- Toast the sourdough and place the slices on a serving plate.
- Smear the slices with 2-3 tablespoons of feta cream each. Let the cheese run over the edges.
- Cut the top leafy part off of the persimmons and spoon the flesh directly on top of your cheesy toasts.
- Serve with drops of Honest Toil evoo, fresh thyme and a generous crack of black pepper.
DRUPES OF WISDOM
Now, why exactly do we blend feta cheese with extra virgin olive oil (evoo)?
Well, initially, we thought it was just to lend a creamy texture, but oh boy, we were in for a surprise! This delicious combo packs a robust healthy punch. Both feta cheese and extra virgin olive oil contain plenty of healthy fats. Feta provides saturated fatty acids, while olive oil adds monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy. Mixing the two results in a more balanced nutritional profile.